Help for Depositors
Contributing content to TUScholarShare is quick and easy. We provide a variety of services to support you and your scholarship, and we will deposit your work on your behalf. You do not need to register an account/ login to deposit work.
- You must be a Temple University affiliate or be sponsored by Temple to contribute work.
- If you are new to TUScholarShare, we recommend you review our Policies and the following sections of our Help for Depositors page. If you are depositing data, we recommend you visit our Data Deposit page.
- Review the TUScholarShare Deposit License, and make sure your work is free from any restrictions (see our full Deposit Requirements). Consider whether you want to use the Creative Commons licensing model for your work.
- Determine the best method for depositing your work by selecting one of the deposit services listed below.
Quick Deposit Form
To deposit a single work to the repository, we suggest you use the Quick Deposit Form.
- Fill in your contact information. We will use this to contact you if we have any questions, and to notify you when your work has been deposited.
- Fill in the form fields. The more complete your description, the more discoverable your work will be. For advice on describing your content, see our Metadata Guidelines.
- The author/ copyright holder of any work deposited to TUScholarShare retains copyright to the work. To let others know how they can reuse your work, consider selecting a Creative Commons license.
- If the work being deposited has been previously published, use the SHERPA/RoMEO Database to help you determine your work’s copyright status and if there may be restrictions (e.g. which version of the paper you may submit, an embargo period, or a publisher’s statement which must be included).
- Upload your file (see our Recommended File Formats). Note: If the file size exceeds 10MB, submit the file as a separate attachment. To do this, ‘drop-off’ the file to email@example.com via TUsafesend.
- Read and agree to the TUScholarShare Deposit License.
- Include additional comments/ notes about the deposit if necessary.
- Click ‘Submit’ to complete the deposit.
- You will receive an email notification from TUScholarShare staff when your work has been reviewed and deposited.
Request CV Review
If you have published a large number of works, we suggest you place a CV Review Request. At your request, TUScholarShare staff will review your CV or a list of publications, determine copyright/ permissions for every work, and deposit permitted materials to TUScholarShare on your behalf.
- When we already have permission, then we will deposit the works to TUScholarShare on your behalf. For others, you will need to provide us with appropriate versions of the texts (either pre-prints or post-prints). In those cases, we will contact you with specific requests. Some works may not be eligible for deposit due to publisher copyright/ permissions.
- Please allow for 3-4 weeks for TUScholarShare staff to complete the review process.
Large Collections with Multiple Creators
If you would like to contribute content on behalf of a Temple University department or unit, we suggest you contact the TUScholarShare Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule a consultation to determine if batch deposit is appropriate.
- We will work with you to discuss your specific needs, determine the best workflow for depositing your content, and outline what preparatory work is required for deposit.
- We will provide a metadata template (spreadsheet) to be completed by a designated collection coordinator.
- The collection coordinator will transfer the completed metadata template and files for deposit to TUScholarShare staff.
- TUScholarShare staff will review the metadata and deposit the files. If providing access to your content is time-sensitive, please notify staff in advance.
Depositors grant to TUScholarShare the non-exclusive right to distribute worldwide and preserve the deposited content. The copyright holder of any work submitted to TUScholarShare retains copyright to the work. The non-exclusive deposit license preserves the creator's right to submit additional copies elsewhere. All permission requests should be directed to the individual author(s) or the stated holder(s) of copyright.
Copyright holders are encouraged to consider using the Creative Commons Licensing Model. As an alternative to conventional copyright, it allows the creator to define a spectrum of usage rights between full copyright with all rights reserved and public domain with no rights reserved. Full descriptions of the licensing options are available at http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/. If you’re interested and have questions, please contact the TUScholarShare Administrator.
Depositing works to TUScholarShare requires a minimum set of depositor-supplied descriptive information (or metadata). The metadata elements below are collected in TUScholarShare to increase the discoverability of a work. These guidelines are enforced in the TUScholarShare Quick Deposit Form, and may or may not be applicable to all submitted works.
The type/ genre that best fits the work. This describes what the work is, as opposed to what it is about.
- Use: Required.
- Select one option from the variable list.
- To select more than one value in the list, hold down the “CTRL”, “Command” or “Shift” key.
- If none of the options best describes the work, select the ‘Other’ option.
The name of the person(s), institution, group, or agent primarily responsible for making the work.
- Use: Required.
- Enter author names in the order in which they should be displayed.
- If a center, group, or organization created the work, enter the name in full.
- Add one author per line, using the plus sign (+) button for entries.
- Authors may be removed using the minus sign (-) button.
A name given to the work.
- Use: Required.
- If a formal title does not exist, create a contrived title that succinctly describes the work.
- Avoid using file names (e.g. FinalDraft_Smith.pdf) or general content descriptions (e.g. Book Chapter).
A single date indicating when the work was created or published.
- Use: Required. “Year” must be entered.
- Use the format YYYY-MM-DD.
- If the work has been previously published, enter the date of publication.
- If TUScholarShare is the first means of distribution of this work, enter the date of submission.
A summary or account of the content of the work. This may include, but is not limited to, an abstract or free-text account of the work.
- Use: Recommended.
- Summarize the work in one or two sentences.
- If the work has supplementary materials, enter this information here.
The Digital Object Identifier (DOI) assigned to the work by its publisher or a separate source from TUScholarShare.
- Use: Optional.
- Use only if the work being deposited to TUScholarShare has been previously published and has an existing DOI from another entity.
- Enter the full URL (include https://).
TUScholarShare accepts work in any digital format; however, submission in a file format listed below is strongly encouraged and the open formats are in bold. The formats listed below are considered relatively stable and therefore facilitate long-term preservation efforts. These formats exhibit all or many of the following characteristics: open documentation; support across a range of software platforms; wide adoption; no compression (or lossless compression); no embedded files or embedded programs/scripts; and non-proprietary format. For additional information please see the Preservation Policy. Please see the Library of Congress’ Recommended File Formats for more guidance or contact the TUScholarShare Administrator.
|Adobe Acrobat PDF/A|
|Comma Separated Values||.csv|
|Open Office Formats||.odt, .ods, .odp|
|Plain Text (US-ASCII, UTF-8)||.txt|
|SVG 1.1 (no Java binding)||.svg|
|Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine||.dcm|
|Material file accompanying OBJ||.mtl|
|Digital Asset File (Including color info)||.dae|
|Autodesk Models with assets||.fbx|
|CAD||.dwg, .dxf, .step, .iges, .ifc|
|Motion JPEG2000||.mj2, .mjp2|
Last updated: Apr 13, 2020